How does YaCy order results?

I cant find this info anywhere. It is a VERY important aspect for me.
It would be nice to be able to choose how they are ordered.

The results are ordered by RANDOM in current yacy versions.

You can change how local results from Solr are ranked with RankingSolr_p.html

Results from other peers, if you use set YaCy to only use Solr data (not yacy’s RWI based ranking), will be ranked according to how other peers have configured their Solr data to be ranked (likely default).

One major problem with the actual results you get from YaCy is that the rank values DO NOT MATTER, NOT EVEN A LITTLE. If you look at source/net/yacy/search/query/SearchEvent.java you’ll find that results are actually ranked according to first received first ranked! So if the first peer to respond sends 3 results those are 1,2,3 and if the second peer results are received from sends 3 results those are 4,5,6 even if their attached ranking score is higher.

You’ll have to change source/net/yacy/search/query/SearchEvent.java if you want yacy to wait a given amount of time for results and then sort the results. That’s what I do with the yacy fork I run on https://yacy.everdot.org/ - it waits 6 seconds for results and then it actually sorts the results and presents them.

Nice work! https://yacy.everdot.org/

Ranking search results is something I believe should, and could be, user controlled, to whatever extent possible.

To do that, there has to be some agreed upon criteria.

For example, I frequent various, very extensive not for profit organization websites which regularly post “action alerts” and the like, where some urgent or immediate response is required.

I don’t particularly want to subscribe to all the thousands upon thousands of groups and organizations out there that put out such material. I would like to be able to rank search results by “urgency”. Or at least, what the publisher considers urgent, out of what might be thousands of pages on their website.

That kind of thing is what I consider “semantic” search, in that there is some actual meaning or significance attached to the results, beyond words or language.

Your solution of having a few second delay to provide time for sorting search results is a small price to pay for what might otherwise be many wasted hours browsing through unsorted search results.